Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday HGTV

After an organized resupply at Michael's yesterday (I had a list, they had a big sale, and I had a 40% off coupon), I knew I wanted to use some of my new materials today. I was a slug most of this rainy day, doing little more than playing mahjongg online and reading, but in the evening after supper, I went on a drawing kick.

Seeing all of the great works yesterday at FAM really inspired me to want to experiment with capturing textures, so I decided to do a drawing of flowing honey. The jar's design took over for awhile, me trying to figure out a pleasing color scheme, but with the application of three different pencil colors (cream, bronze and sunburst yellow) I think the honey came out best.

I was also taken by the ancient carvings of seated Chinese dancers at FAM, and knew I wanted to draw them at some point, so I jumped right in after photographing the honey jar. It was a lot of fun, and it basically flowed right out of my No. 2 pencil. I spent way more time figuring out and then applying the color scheme than I did on the actual pencil and ink stages. I like the idea of them so much that I plan on drawing these often, until I can do them in my sleep. In the future, I'll also apply colored and patterned paper instead of colored pencils. An interesting and fitting bonus: as you can see, the paper has an aged and yellow tinge to it. It is white 60 lb sketch paper, but because the first several photos came out too washed out by the camera's flash, I adjusted the camera setting to 'aquarium', and this happy accident was the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment