Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Design Contest: Ando and Friends

I have been interested in surfing all my life. I've never had the opportunity to learn how, but over the last 5 years or so, it's been closer to the forefront of my mind. I've been a subscriber of Surfer Magazine for five years now, and this year I opted for the "two-fer", and am receiving Surfing as well. Long story short: there was a design contest for Ando and Friends, and I spent the last few days working on an entry. I sent it off in the mail yesterday thinking the deadline was this Friday, but they recently extended it a week, so I am surely on time. I used Prismacolor pencils and cut-up alphabet stickers that I had left over from a few birthday gifts for my nieces. This is what I came up with for my submission:
detail (click to enlarge)















I figured anyone can just color a black & white print out, and since I'd been wanting to put the many cool patterns contained in the stickers to good use, they were the perfect element to elevate my design. I had a blast trying to figure out the best ways to use the scraps, cutting as precisely as I could without wasting any of the material. All while trying to picture the finished product without smudging the larger colored areas (which I left 'til last). Judging is supposed to take place by September 3rd.

1 comment:

  1. I saw my entry posted on the Ando & Friends Facebook page amongst 129 other entries (some of which blow mine out of the water, but excuse me for not having a sewing machine or a garage full of power tools or a stained glass studio). It's very cool to see it publicly displayed.

    I also found a local artist's collective site, and they are looking for designers to put together a cd cover for their first song compilation. That is going to be my next public work...

    ReplyDelete