Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Manrayvian

I was on Wikipedia yesterday, reading about a few things I was interested in, and then engaging in the 'organic click' thing I do (starting with a person, place or thing I want to read about, going off on related tangents, and ending up somewhere completely different), and wound up reading about the Dada and Surrealist artists. Man Ray's 'The Misunderstood' jumped out at me, and I decided to draw the strange flower creature depicted therein.

I really like the way the fine lines came out in the inked drawing, but the color scheme was what I was after, and I think it came out pretty nice. I definitely need to spend more time learning the best light settings for my Canon PowerShot A480. I took the ink photo last night with a flash, and the colored one this morning by cloudy sunlight.

I am going to work on full scenes next I think. While all of these drawings are nice to look at, they really don't tell much in the way of stories. I also have plans to do "at arm's length" sketches, more "Scatterbunnies", and another "Li'l Nippers" soon. I haven't done any writing lately.

Lastly, here's a weird note (pun intended): As I was falling asleep last night a fully-formed song was playing in my head. I don't remember very much of it now, and I wish I'd had a way to record it before I drifted off. It was a catchy tune, but hard to explain or compare to anything. I definitely need a cheap recording device for moments like that. They've been few & far between in my life (another I recall vividly was on a drive back to my Rollinsford, NH apartment six years ago), and I always feel an acute frustration at not having been able to preserve the sounds somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment