Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Space and Stuff

Last night I experimented with using no black ink on a drawing. It came out kind of cool (see image at left). It's a pretty typical pose of mine for superheroes (which astronauts technically are not), so that aspect is weak, but it was a fun exercise.

And today I did the first of my 'at arm's length' drawing experiments. I've had space on the brain lately (I am SO psyched that Comcast carries the NASA channel), and have seen all kinds of cool astronaut drawings, so I decided to draw one with ink (no initial pencils). I like the way it came out. The basic figure is sound, and it's just cartoony enough to be amusing rather than sad (haha). The coloring was another experiment. I have a set of colored dual brush pens (with a fine tip on one end a paintbrush style tip on the other), and went with the brush ends (at arm's length, of course) to loosely "paint" the drawing. I didn't want to overload the sky, so I used colored pencils for that, but the rest of the image is all marker and ink. It was a lot of fun, forcing myself not to get up close to do any detail work. Someday soon (meaning this autumn), after more practice with the brush end of the pens, I'll attempt my first paint project since college back in the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment