Friday, October 8, 2010

Unprecedented

I have been reading comics since I was a little kid, when my grandfather had boxes of old ones that he got at a yard sale. I have been consciously buying them on a monthly basis since I was about ten, when I would run across the street to the Westminster Pharmacy and spend my weekly dollar allowance on three books. Over the years the price has slowly risen, well above the rate of inflation, and it was just something that was accepted.

Well: today both DC Comics (their hark) and Marvel Comics (their hark) announced that they are rolling prices back from $3.99 to $2.99 (although Marvel is only lowering all future new titles, not existing ones, a very important distinction) - I am flabbergasted and extremely happy. It is amazing that such big companies would make such a drastic price adjustment (-25%) in their business model, but the economy, and the rise of digital (ugh) comics seems to have made it a necessity in order to continue the art form in a strong & healthy manner, so that it does not disappear from the world like VHS, the 8-track, or the rotary phone... Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment